Redlands’s heritage of greenery dates back to the founding of Cañon Crest Park by Alfred and Albert Smiley in 1890 on the site of what is now known as Smiley Heights. As a significant tourist destination in Southern California, Cañon Crest Park helped put Redlands on the map, but was lost to residential development in the mid-20th century. The loss of that community treasure spurred efforts in the 1960s to save Prospect Park, which the city eventually purchased in 1968 and is now one of many public spaces Redlands has to offer.
In 1988, Redlanders passed Measure O, a bond issue focusing on parks and open space development. Among the properties purchased with Measure O funds is Heritage Park, which joined the list of historic parks in the city, including:
Smiley Park, dedicated March 1898 — Sylvan Park, dedicated in May 1912 — Jennie Davis Park, established as Floral Park in 1938 — Texonia Park, dedicated September 1964, sponsored by the Evening Kiwanis Club — Ford Park, dedicated June 1965, sponsored by the Redlands Rotary Club — Prospect Park, dedicated November 1968 — Community Park, dedicated November 1974 — Caroline Park, dedicated April 1988 — Heritage Park, purchased 1989 — Israel Beal Park, dedicated February 2011
For information on Redlands parks, visit the City of Redlands website.
Watch “Glory Hole,” the 1941 film showing the creation of Jennie Davis Park by the Beautification Committee of the Contemporary Club: